Monday, March 10, 2008

Spring Cleaning: Kitchen


Today I tackled cleaning the kitchen. This proved to be a bigger job than I thought it would be, and even though I am done for today, there are things I would still like to address in the kitchen in the near future. Our kitchen does not have a ton of storage space and we do not have an office or an area for a desk in our main living area, so the kitchen often has to play double duty. The island is continually a hotspot with papers, coupons, receipts, mail, etc.

What I did today in the kitchen:

- washed windows and sliding glass door inside and out

- dusted blinds

- moved fridge and stove and cleaned underneath and on the sides and vacuumed the coils on the fridge

- cleaned off the fridge

- put stockpiled items in less visible locations

- washed baseboards, microwave, fridge, stove, dishwasher, trash can and countertops (as a gift to me my husband washes the floor each weekend for this year, so I didn't need to wash the floor today)

- cleared off the island, except for fruit platter and catch-all tray

Before - view from living room

Before - view from table
After - view from living room
After - view from table
After - view toward corner

The kitchen feels so much better to us now! For some reason the list above doesn't seem very substantial, but I ended up spending about 3-4 hours on this room. Jobs for another day include sewing and putting up new valances and cleaning the cupboard under the sink.

Head on over to The Homespun Heart to see all the progress being made in Spring Clean 2008.

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

Good job Rachel - you've given me motivation to do my kitchen. Today's my scheduled day - but am dreading how long it will take. I love your Give Thanks sign! :)
Rebecca

Crafty Mom said...

Wow! You accomplished a ton! Good for you!

Lynette said...

Great job Rachel, your kitchen looks great!

Monica Wilkinson said...

You have gotten a lot done and your kitchen looks terrific! Great job! :)

Mom2Drew said...

Looks good friend. I've never seen such a clean counter!

Candace said...

Oh, how I wish my kitchen looked that good. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Looks fantabulous!! :D I couldn't help but notice the reflection in the dishwasher in the before photos - how funny!