Monday, March 30, 2009

Celebrating Childhood Creativity: The Art Board

I've been wondering for a while how I could handle the constant influx of art and papers from church, the YMCA and school in a better way so they wouldn't just be dumped on the kitchen island and later discarded. But rather to put them out for display to communicate that we enjoy our kids and their creations and are proud of their efforts.

Inspiration struck in the 90% off aisle of Hobby Lobby. This very large frame was marked at $10.00. I'll take it. It was not at all in pristine condition, but I wasn't going to use it as is, so I was fine with that.
We gave it three coats of paint, using "oops" paint and a reused brush from this project. And I even let Sportster help. Can I admit here that I struggle with wanting to include my children in projects but also get them done quickly and with the results I am looking for? Can anybody relate?the painted frameThen I screwed in eye hooks on each side and strung picture wire between the hooks and hung the frame up in our front entryway. We attached the artwork with tiny clothespins. Here Smiley is pointing to his paper plate face.
As more papers come in, we'll choose the best and change some of the current collection out and I'll save in a box or a folder the ones I'll keep for the kids.


One more little step to enjoying the childhood of my children. This new art spot makes me happy!

7 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I love it!!! Very creative way to display everything.

I was at Hobby Lobby on Saturday with my mother-in-law and saw all those frames on the 90% off aisle...I may have to go back and see if I can score one!

Unknown said...

Awesome, Rachel. Have fun with your mom's visit!!!

Mollie said...

Great idea Rachel! I may borrow this idea from you some day. Blessings!

Kimberly said...

Rachel,

This is awesome!! Great idea!!

I wish I had a place for it, I would copy you! ;-) Hummm...do I have a place for it?

Amy Phelps said...

LOVE THIS Rachel, and yes, I can relate to letting the kids participate in something that will hang in our home - eeek! What a wonderful way to honor your children. Bravo my friend. I think I may use this idea. Thank you.

Lori Harper said...

This is a wonderful idea!! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. Enjoy your blog.

Tracey said...

VERY COOL! I LOVE THIS IDEA!