Friday, March 23, 2007

Going Bananas

Today while at the grocery store I came upon a deal for not-so-pretty bananas for $.25/lb. I couldn't resist the price, so I swooped up about six bunches. Obviously there is no way we could use them all before they go entirely bad so I decided to try a new method of saving them for other uses. I could have even let them ripen a bit more, but decided against starting a fruit fly colony in the kitchen. I peeled and sliced them and put them in freezer bags for making banana bread or smoothies later. I thought the little pieces would be easier to break off and thaw than freezing them whole. I know some people freeze them with peels on, but for some reason I just don't like dealing with black bananas when it is time to use them. Now I'm looking forward to lots of banana bread. Somehow since we've had kids there really aren't any bananas that get too ripe since the monkeys around here eat them up so quickly.

No comments: