Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Change One Thing: Getting Proper Rest

I can't believe how fast this summer is flying by, but it has already been a month since my last change. It has been okay. I'll be completely honest and let you know I have not fully given up soda. Rather, I have cut back on the amount consumed and am still working on reducing that amount further.

For the month of August, and beyond really, I really want to focus on getting proper rest. I am a night owl by nature but that isn't really working for me in this stage of life with young kiddos who like to rise early. So many mornings, okay, almost every morning I am just getting up when they do and that is making me feel two steps behind all day long. Without rising early I don't have the jumpstart I need by getting time with the Lord in his Word and also don't have a time to mentally prepare for what lies ahead that day. The only way to begin rising early for me is going to be retiring early in the evening. (The fact that I'm writing this at 10:25 pm is a sign I haven't implemented this change yet.) To go to bed at a reasonable hour I will have to stay disciplined throughout the day to get everything done while everyone else is awake. When I was in high school our track coach was really insistent on not staying up late. He said that each hour before midnight provides better rest than the hours after midnight. While I know there is likely no scientific evidence for this, it seems to hold true in my case.

Anyone else out there working on small changes that have big impacts on your life? Let me know.

Good night!

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Rachel, I am doing the same thing!! I always let my kids wake me up and since I am not a morning person, I usually say, go turn on the TV and leave me alone! My day goes much better if I am up and awake and have gotten things accomplished before they get up. The TV doesn't come on and I can focus on making a good breakfast and get started on the day earlier. I try to get up at 5:30 when my husband leaves for work. He usually has to literally drag me out of bed so i get up, but then I am up and awake. Some mornings I just sit on the couch and look at blogs or Craig'slist on the laptop but at least I am awake when the kids get up and I can get them going better then even if I wasn't productive that morning.
So get started!!! You will really start to enjoy how much better your days go and you will start to WANT to get up early.
Can't wait to hear how it goes next week.
Melinda