I'll start by saying that this turned out to be more of an "improvement" than a "makeover", but I'm still pleased with the results and have inspiration for some further improvements as the budget allows. Back in February I decided it was time to get the garage in order. I had hoped this little project would take less than a few weeks, but alas, I got sidetracked with other things. To hinder the cause, I was also saving household discards in the garage to give to a garage sale put on by a group of which I am a part. I came to a few realizations during this process. 1) Every home needs a place for things on their way in or out of the household. For us, this place is the garage and that is okay. 2) Done is better than waiting for the best timing to do a perfect and final job. I will have to revisit this project and once again, that's okay. 3) I'm a good starter, but not such a good finisher. I need to work on this for my own sake and for the sake of my family and my household. 4) Don't blog about a project you won't finish in a timely manner....see realization #3.
The total job could have been completed in a day, but because of the donations that needed to wait for the garage sale and recycling which needed to be dropped off, it took much longer. Basically I just put everything away and made specific places for our recycling to be stored as it accumulates so it doesn't get out of control. I also put up some hooks to hold the ladder on the wall and out of the way, swept it out and put down some new drip sheets under our vehicles.
Total time elapsed: way too long, actual work was about 3 hours
Total cost: $2 - for the ladder hooks.
Here are the after photos.
I'm glad that now everything is in relatively good order and we are not tripping over anything to get to the car. And, in keeping with the original goal, our garage is now doing a better job at welcoming us home. I can now cross this item off of my project list, at least for another year.