Wednesday, February 7, 2007

not-so-Extreme Makeover: Garage Edition



With spring just around the corner, I'm getting into the cleaning and organizing mood again. In addition, it is getting difficult to walk around our vehicles without brushing up against them. So we are headed to the garage to get it back into order. Since we've lived in a house of our own I've always felt that we should make it as nice to be in as we can without feminizing it too much. I figure if we go to an effort to make the front door to our home inviting for guests, we should also make our garage entry inviting for our own family, since that is the space that we see far more often than our own front door. Thus begins the yearly challenge to organize and clean the garage so it serves our needs, welcomes us home and is not filled with all the excess that the interior of our home can't contain. So over the next few weeks I'm going to be working at getting it in shape. I have a few goals for this: create sustainable systems so it just needs to be swept out from time to time and not reorangized, to not spend any money on new storage containers (this will be hard since I love uniform containters), to get rid of things we don't want or use and to make it feel spacious once again. To keep myself accountable on this, here are the "before" pictures. Hopefully one day soon I'll be able to post pictures of the improved version of our garage. It still won't look like the pages of some organizing magazine, but I'll do the best I can with what I have (i.e. not $10K for pretty cupboards and an epoxy garage floor).

No comments: