Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Zucchini Fudge Cake

This recipe compliments of my Aunt Gerri.   I've made this before but remembered it this week as I was trying to use up a few things...frozen zucchini and organic shortening from a friend and cocoa from another friend.  Please note this yields 2 cakes.

Zucchini Fudge Cake

4 eggs

2 1/4 Cups sugar
  - I use a bit less
2 t. vanilla

¾ c. margarine, softened
- I usually use butter but substituted some Spectrum shortening this week
3 c. flour

½ c. unsweetened cocoa

2 t. baking powder

1 t. baking soda

1 cup buttermilk
- I used a cup of regular milk with 1-2 T. vinegar added
3 c. shredded unpeeled zucchini
- I used 4 C. this week with good results

Frosting

1 c. margarine softened
- I used butter
2 pounds confectioners’ sugar

½ c. unsweetened cocoa

1 T. vanilla

½ c. milk


In a large bowl, beat eggs until fluffy. Add sugar gradually; beating until mixture is thick and lemon colored. Beat in vanilla and margarine. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and soda. Stir ½ of dry ingredients into egg mixture. Add buttermilk; mix. Add remaining flour mixture, beat until smooth. Fold in zucchini. Divide batter into 2, 9x13 greased and floured pans. Bake at 350˚ for 20-25 minutes or until top springs back when gently pressed. Cool completely. Mix frosting by combining all ingredients in a large bowl beat until creamy. Frost cakes.


Enjoy! 

No comments: