Thursday, October 22, 2009

Fresh Starts





Even though we are finishing up Week 9 of the school year, I wanted to document for grandmas and others we know who are far off the start of the year for our two students. We now have a kindergartener and a first grader and they are both doing well with their studies at home as well as at a charter school within our district that offers a 1-day-per-week program for home school students. We loved the program we were part of last year, but the distance was becoming an increasing obstacle as I am now trying to meaningfully teach two children and as we expect our fourth child during the school year. For this novice homeschooler, it is assuring to know that there are other teachers investing in my children's education and covering some of gaps I haven't filled in at home yet like music, art, and p.e. and supplementing the language arts and science we are doing here at home. Another benefit is that their primary teacher can provide me with insights into what may be beneficial to their 80% of school time spent at home. It seems like a good balance for us this year. Even though we are 1/4 of the way through the year, I feel I am still working on finding routine and consistency in managing the responsibilities of teaching, homekeeping, mothering, and managing our 3 year old while we are doing school. I have a lot to learn, but I'm thankful for the journey.

No comments: