Friday, September 19, 2008

Pumpkin Bars

As autumn is quickly approaching, I'm excited to get back to baking more and here is a recipe for pumpkin bars. It is loosely based off of a recipe for carrot bars which my mom makes, but I made this one up without calling for a full cup of oil.

Pumpkin Bars
In mixer, mix:
4 eggs
1 t. salt
1 3/4 C. sugar
3/4 C. unsweetened applesauce
1/4 C. oil
16 oz. solid pack pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
2 t. baking soda
2 1/2 C. flour
2 t. cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
1/2 C. chopped nuts or craisins (optional)

Bake in greased jelly roll pan at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

If you wish, frost cooled bars with with cream cheese frosting made by mixing:
8 oz. lowfat cream cheese, softened
1 t. vanilla
1/4 C. butter
3 C. powdered sugar.

Happy Fall! Now I'm off to add a can of pumpkin to my grocery list.

No comments: